Social Networking Sites


Nowadays social media is the new trend. If you're not on Instagram, Facebook, or Snapchat, do you even exist? Do people even know you ?! In this blog, I will be exploring four different social media apps and compare my impressions of these sites. 
Facebook is probably the most popular/used social networking site in the world. Users can write statues, share photos, tag as many friends as they want, share videos, like/comment, etc. One thing I noticed is that out of all the social media sites, people tend to use their "real name" on Facebook the most, compared to lets say Snapchat or Instagram. This is just my opinion because I have searched for many friends on Snapchat vs. Facebook, but I was only able to find some of them on Facebook using their actual first and last names, but not on Snapchat. I used to love Facebook back in the days because it was relevant and I kept up with my friends and what they were up to. I feel like the hype over Facebook died down when newer social medias came about, such as Instagram and Snapchat. Since my friends and I started using other social media sites, we rarely used Facebook to connect. The Messenger app is still useful to me personally. Nowadays, I rarely use Facebook, but when I do, i just try to find memes or entertaining videos. 
My first time using Twitter was this month, so I'm still learning its features. Overall, it seems like a very useful site to find news/trends and what's happening around you. Instead of having "friends" like Facebook, Twitter has followers. You can make your Twitter public or private, which gives you control over who sees what. The tweets do have a limit of up to 280 characters. So if you want to write something that requires a long explanation, then you would most likely avoid tweeting it and use another social media. You can retweet and like what your followers are tweeting. You can also message anyone you're following as with all social media. 
My favorite social media app that drains my phone's battery everyday is Snapchat. I personally love Snapchat because it gives me freedom to express myself in ways that I can't with other social media sites. Snapchat works through "snaps" which are you take a picture, caption it if you want, doodle on it, add stickers, and put it on your story or share with certain friends. I like how each snap basically "disappears" after your friend sees it. I think using Snapchat is the fastest compared to other sites. You can also message friends and if you don't save it, it will disappear. One of the difference Snapchat has is there are no "likes" for whatever you story. If someone does comment on your story, only you can see it. Also with Snapchat, you can use creative and funny filters that can be used on your face when you are taking pictures. 
The last social media I have recently used is WhatsApp. You can find friends on WhatsApp easily if you have their number saved into your contacts. Like the others, WhatsApp also has stories that disappear in 24 hours. You can call and message and I think thats the most useful feature of it. Overall, it doesn't have any videos, memes, or anything like the other sites. 
My impression of all these social media sites is both good and bad. They all seem somewhat unique but at the same time, very similar and cater to a similar goal of connecting people all over the world. They can be useful if we use it for the right reasons (connect with family & friends who are apart, collaborate with people who have similar interests). They can also be harmful if we use it the wrong way (stalking, celebrity influence on body image and beauty, scamming, procrastination). I still prefer using Snapchat because it lets me be creative and post pictures without the fear of getting no "likes" or "comment." I also think I have more privacy on Snapchat since I only add close friends unlike other sites.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Next New

P2P

Wiki so Far