Social Media: Better or worse than the real thing?

My research paper will explore why Social Media makes us less social. It is evident in our society that less and less people are having face to face interactions and more rely on sitting behind a screen to communicate with others. I will research why this is hurting us as humans because we are losing touch and why human connections are fading. On social media, we have a different identity vs the real one we show everyday. I believe the identity we portray on social media is not the same (hiding behind anonymity) one we have in real life. Although social media does connect people living thousands of miles away, it tends to make us insecure, lets us hide behind anonymity & avoid real life, and distracts us from actually living in the present and interacting with the people physically around us.


Comments

  1. Social media has personally made me feel less social as well. When I get into an uncomfortable or awkward situation I realize I always reach for my phone to distract myself. We have been so accustomed to communicating with one another through a screen that we really have lost touch with people in the real world, face-to-face. I agree with your comment of how social media allows us to portray a different identity than the one we have in real life. I guess through a screen we are less worried about how others will perceive us, and not hearing their comments helps as well. I like many points that you have addressed and I'm sure your paper will be a great one!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Next New

P2P

Wiki so Far